Sunday, March 14, 2010

Goodbye, Spring Break. Hello, Random Thoughts.

I took “spring break” quite seriously.  I took a break from schoolwork (though unintentionally… my big plans to read ahead didn’t exactly pan out, thanks to rest and relaxation and the like).  I took a break from blogging.  I took a break from working out (but wait– I wasn’t really working out in the first place, so I guess that doesn’t count as a “break”).

And now I’m back to school, knowing I need to unpack (or read… or put together more cover letters… or just get some sleep!) but instead wasting time on Facebook.  Realizing that yet another friend/acquaintance is now engaged.

The thought of being engaged right now really is nice, but that’s it.  It’s just “nice.”  It’s unbelievable to me that people my age, or in the case of today’s “newly engaged friend” a year younger, are ready to commit to one person for the rest of their lives.  Which makes it sound like I want to flounder around, picking up random guys and hopping from date to date, which is not at all what I mean.

I’m in my first year of law school.  I have no idea where I’ll end up, other than my general desire to move to California or Arizona.  I can’t imagine actually being tied to a person– and that person’s career/job– at this point in life.

Perhaps I am more career-driven than most.  I’ve always had my education, and consequently my career, as my priority.  J.D. first, M.R.S. degree later.  And I would not want to turn down an ideal job offer because the location or whatnot would conflict with my fiance/husband’s job.  Friends have said that I feel this way because I haven’t found the right guy, they guy may change his job so mine will work, relationships are all about compromise, etc.  These are all legitimate points, but I really detest the idea of compromising my career because “you must make sacrifices when in a relationship.”  Granted, this may all change once I’m in love.  But the idea of compromising my goals because of a man really works against everything I’ve been “taught.”  Independence.  Self-sufficiency.  Other late twentieth century/early twenty-first century ideas that have essentially destroyed good old-fashioned dating, now that I think about it.  But that’s for some other discussion.

And yes, I note the irony in this post, considering I am both jobless and single.  Just thinking ahead.

[Via http://andthisismymind.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment