Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Rainy Day

I have yet to get started on the fabric wall project or much of anything artsy since I moved a few weeks ago.  I’ve been looking for jobs and unpacking and spending much needed time with friends instead. (If anyone in the Austin area is hiring, please let me know – I’m awesome, I promise.) But anyway, pretty soon I should have a few projects in the making.  I did manage to finally get my art nook in working condition and cleaned up yesterday.

It’s a rainy and cold day in Austin, which is upsetting considering how beautiful the weather has been.  This week has been SXSW, and the whole city is going a bit crazy.    The cool thing about SXSW is that there are other unofficial free events going on that are really cool and/or a bit absurd.  For instance, my boyfriend’s cousin runs this social club called the Austin Bacon Eaters (check them out on facebook).  There was an event called the Bacon Takedown last week.  It was basically a bacon cookoff, and the ABE entered.  Our guys made a bacon avacado salad that was to die for.  They won 3rd place in crowd’s choice and 4th place in the two judges’ choice.  A few pics:

There were all kinds of great entries as well.  Oddly there were a lot of desserts.  I know what you’re thinking… “Bacon dessert? What kind of crazies are y’all?” Well, however crazy we all were, it was absolutely amazing.

Aside from the Bacon Takedown, we also went to a concert that was at a used old school video game store called Game Over.  My friends band played, and they only play their cover versions of video game music (everything from Little Nemo to Megaman 3 and Mario. Of course.).  Here’s a video clip of their performance: Descendants of Erdrick.  I took the video with my new blackberry, so the quality isn’t the best. You still get the idea though. :)

We also attempted a few free shows downtown at Emos… that ended in total failure due to it being a metal show and people being jerks.  Regardless, it’s been fun.

Oh, and on St. Patrick’s Day, I made these:

Hopefully, I’ll get this whole job thing straightened out soon, and I’ll be more in the blogging and artsy kind of mood.  It’s been really frustrating with the job search because I’m qualified to do many things, and I’m not a moron.  However, the economy isn’t that great.  So we’ll see.

[Via http://thissideofdandelions.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment